Today I baked banana whoopie pies with my kids (students). I taught them never to be shy with smearing on the cream cheese frosting.
These cookies were great in flavor but slightly delicate in texture. I would pipe out the frosting next time, as some cookies broke and frosting got on my hands.
Banana Whoopie Pies with Cream Cheese Filling
2 cups flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup mashed banana
1/2 cup greek yogurt
3/4 stick butter, softened
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 large egg
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
16 ounces cream cheese
1 1/4 cup confectioner’s sugar
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line 2 baking sheets with parchment paper.
1. Sift flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in one bowl, set aside.
2. Beat butter and both sugars until light in color.
3. Add in sour cream, banana, egg, and vanilla extract.
4. Pour flour mixture into banana mixture. With a rubber spatula, gently stir just until combined.
5. Drop batter by the heaping teaspoonful onto parchment. Leave about one inch of space between cookies.
6. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Let cool and pipe cream cheese filling onto half of the cookies. Top with remaining cookies…Enjoy!