OK so most people don’t make stews in the summer, but I guess I’m an exception. Why would I want a steamy warm dish on a hot summer day? Well besides the fact that it’s a satisfying and healthy lunch option, I sit in an air conditioned office where it can feel a bit more like winter many days! And in that case, a hot lunch is exactly what I want.
This is a dish I’ve made a couple times. It’s easy and perfect for lunches or leftovers. Don’t let the summer dissuade you, this stew won’t disappoint.
What you’ll need:
- 1 large split chicken breast (or 1 large boneless breast)
- 1/2 can of cannellini beans
- 3 cups chix broth
- 2 servings cous cous or barley
- 4oz of tomato paste
- 2 carrots sliced
- 2 celery stalks sliced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1 cup sliced mushrooms
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- Thyme (optional – I just had it on hand and threw in a couple sprigs)
- Saute the carrots, mushrooms, onions, celery and garlic in EVOO in a large pot
- When the veggies begin to soften, add chicken breast and brown the top and bottom
- Add chicken broth, tomato paste and cannellini beans and let simmer for 45 minutes
- Remove chicken and cool so you can shred by hand
- While chicken is cooling, add barley or cous cous
- Cook until barley/cous cous is soft and re-add chicken back in
- Add salt and pepper as needed and serve!
Do you eat warm hearty meals even in the summer? I am always looking for new lunch ideas, so send any warm dish ideas my way!