Mexican…pasta… two words that you rarely see together. Yet, each word represents incredible opportunity for deliciousness in the kitchen. So this weekend I thought, why not put them together? And that’s exactly what I did.
Although going into it with a bit of hesitation, it slowly came together, and before I knew it, ay caramba it came out scrumptious! So just in time for BBQ season, I present you a pasta salad with a total twist. With spice, flair and lots of color, this dish is nothing short of a fiesta.
What you’ll need: (for 2 large servings)
- 2 servings of whole wheat pasta
- 1/3 cups salsa
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1/2 cup yellow corn
- 1/4 cup chopped green pepper
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil (EVOO)
- Handful of chopped cilantro
- Handful of chopped jarred jalapenos (optional)
- Sliced cherry tomatoes for garnish
- Green Tabasco or hot sauce of choice (optional)
- Cook pasta according to directions; drain, but do not rinse
- Toss pasta in 1/2 tbsp EVOO, chill
- Add salsa, black beans, corn, cilantro and jalapenos and toss with pasta
- Top with sliced tomatoes and extra cilantro as garnish
- Serve with a side of hot sauce for extra heat and flavor
With lots of fiber, protein and nutrients, I promise you’ll find this pasta salad both delicious and filling.