I just got back from a fabulous weekend in Charleston, SC for a wedding this Labor Day weekend. It was my first time there – what a great city! Some might frown on holiday weekend weddings, but when it’s in a beautiful destination with a group of awesome people, there’s no better way to spend a long weekend.
Besides the wedding and people on the trip, there were many other highlights including the food. One dining adventure that stood out was an absolutely delicious restaurant: COAST Bar and Grill. This place exudes both modern southern flair and charm.
COAST claims to offer “Charleston’s Freshest Seafood,” and while I can’t compare to any other of Charleston’s seafood restaurants, I can tell you that COAST did serve up some excellent fare.
What to order? That’s a tough recommendation to make. Everything we tried was a winner in my book. And since there was a group of 12 of us, I was able to try a good portion of the COAST menu (however, I still didn’t put a dent in the list of things I wanted to sample!)
So what in particular did I try and love?
- Raw Oysters on the Half Shell – Salty and sweet, these were top notch.
- Fried Green Tomatoes – Sweet pepper relish & spicy red pepper aioli – Perfectly crispy with a juicy and tasty inside.
- Coast Crab Dip – Blue crab claw meat, horseradish, cheese, & grilled bread – Rich and creamy, great for sharing. And who doesn’t love grilled bread?!
- Plantain Encrusted Mahi-Mahi – Blue cheese mashed potatoes, asparagus & sweet basil butter – Amazing as it sounds, holy cow this dish packed in the most beautiful flavors.
- Seared Rare Tuna – Fresh tuna dusted with cashews and peanuts; with diced mango, cilantro, pomegranate soy reduction over soba noodles – I can’t get enough of Asian flavors with fish. Tossing in some mango, pomegranate and cilantro took this to the next level.
- Crispy Fried Whole Flounder – Hush puppies & jicama slaw; cilantro jalapeno aioli – This dish oozes Southern flavors.
- Sangria – What’s a dinner without cocktails? The sangria was the drink of choice at our table. Refreshing and crisp, it was a great add to the meal.
Is your mouth watering yet? It should be. This was one of those memorable meals where not just the laughs and company will be remembered, but so will every delicious dish that I was lucky enough to enjoy.
I’d also be remiss if I didn’t call attention to the relaxed but bustling ambiance and the very reasonably priced menu. Despite the quality and quantity that the menu boasts, it is still pocket-friendly. With appetizers, plenty of drinks and meals for each of us, we still each only spent $50 (including tax and gratuity).
Next time you’re in Charleston, check COAST out. You won’t regret it.